Sunday, February 14, 2016

Scalia

PATENT QUOTES

"I agree with the Chief Justice. It is misleading to say that the whole world is embraced within these three nouns, teaching, suggestion, or motivation, and then you define teaching, suggestion, or motivation to mean anything that renders it nonobvious. This is gobbledygook. It really is, it's irrational." --Excerpts from the oral arguments before the Supreme Court in KSR v. Teleflex

"I join the judgment of the Court, and all of its opinion except Part I–A and some portions of the rest of the opinion going into fine details of molecular biology. I am unable to affirm those details on my own knowledge or even my own belief. It suffices for me to affirm, having studied the opinions below and the expert briefs presented here, that the portion of DNA isolated from its natural state sought to be patented is identical to that portion of the DNA in its natural state; and that complementary DNA (cDNA) is a synthetic creation not normally present in nature." --Myriad Genetics

"Hubris is sometimes defined as o’erweening pride; and pride, we know, goeth before a fall." --10 quotes

"Just as I can decide patent cases ... what do I know? nothing ... the adversarial system ... the counsel have to be experts ... bring best evidence possible to judges" --Originalism and Historical accuracy and Deciding Patent cases at 44:41/1:00:48

"Hardest case? Probably a patent law case." --IP Watchdog Hard Case

"Why isn't doing it through a computer not enough? I mean, was the cotton gin not an invention because it just means you're doing through a machine what people used to do by hand?" --Alice skepticism

No comments: